Cascade Triple Crown: No One Said It Had To Be Pretty

The official Cascade Triple Crown Challenge was solidified when with the following conversation via text

Laura: “I am up for signing up. I can do it tomorrow”
Steph “Oh s**t. Here goes nothing. Signing up.”
Laura “Did you do it? I will sign up in a few”
Steph “Done”
Laura “Ok. Time to start some serious hill work.”
Steph “Let’s get Ruckled! Is that the name of the trail?”
Laura “I can’t believe I just signed up for a race that harder than the Gorge 50K”

You spend enough time with one of your best training buddies on the trails and the conversation just
naturally might drift to planning future adventures. Deciding to do a multi stage adventure started with
one of us mentioning Aspire Adventures. Three days around Mt Rainier and they take care of
everything? We just have to make it 30 some miles a day to next camp? Perfect.
Sometime later Laura saw a post for the Mazama’s Ultra Camp up at Mt Hood. We thought it would be
a great warm-up for Rainer and a chance to meet some more folks that would have great running tips
and stories for us. It would give us another chance to run around a mountain with full support. Perfect
for a couple of trail rookies.
Laura gets to take the credit (or blame) for finding the Volcanic 50k. Sure, there was probably a time in
the early spring when we chatted about how cool it would be to concur St Helens as we ran through the
mud on Wildwood Trial. That’s all it takes for one of us to do a little internet searching, then the text
message conversation begins. It ended when we told coach Yassine about all three mountains being
between our reach within 14 days. He was as supportive, and cautious, as you want your coach to be
when proposing adventures. We are pretty sure the word “epic” was used.


Ok the events:
Mt Hood – 42ish miles on 7/29
Laura: I knew that I was going to be the slowest one in the group based on a shakeout run. This added
some extra stress, worrying that the group would have to wait on me. The crew stuck together, I didn’t
feel pressure to keep up. There was a big climb as we got to Aid Station #1. I felt pretty good but was
dropping back a bit. Coming into the second aid station, around mile 24, I had slowed down. I was still
happy we were more than half way. I was holding my slow and steady pace. We got to the last big climb
and I was hiking with some of the group but I needed to slow down or I didn’t think I would make it. So I
let the others go by and then just went at my own pace. As I was by myself for 3 hours, I remember

thinking that I just needed to keep going. Walk the up, run the down and I would be finished before
dark. I kept going around corners that I was sure had to be the last one, that was about 2 miles worth of
trail. Finished before dark!! Success!
My triple mountain challenge didn’t start out the best. I came into Mt Hood with a bad cold. Combine
that with higher altitude and exercise induced asthma, and that can make for a long day. I couldn’t
breathe much of the day, which kept my heart rate elevated as I circled the mountain. In awe of the
sites that surprise you on the Timberline Trail. The bonk of all bonks started as I climbed from Ramona
falls. It was ugly, I was a wimpy, whiney baby as I trudged up a 3 mile climb. I was on the trial puking up
the nutrition as Krissy Moehl, rubbed my back. Nearby, Jennifer Love, waited patiently as she prepared
to distract me with stories of her many running and mountain climbing adventures. They were both so
willing and ready to tell me about their low points on the trails to make me feel better. I finished just as
the sun was setting, a magical hour up at Timberline Lodge. Then, I proceed to lay in the middle of the
living room of the Mazama’s Lodge as kind new friends help to bring me back from the bonk.
The week between:
Minutes after finishing Mt Hood, we agreed we would skip St Helens. I knew I would stick to the plan. I
am pretty stubborn and once I say I am going to do something I do it. I also knew that Steph would do it
but kept telling her we had all week to decide. I didn’t want to pressure her, she came around, which
made me very happy to have her out on the course, even though I knew I wouldn’t see her.
Nope, I wasn’t going to do Mt St Helen’s. It took a few days to recover from my epic bonk. I had
horrible blisters on my feet, I was still sick and I was tired. I wasn’t going to do it. Until Friday morning’s
text message conversation:

Laura: “Race starts at 7:00. Meet at 4:45”
Steph: “See you in the morning. “
Laura: “Yep. It will be Epic”
Steph: “Burgerville on the way home?”


Mt St Helens 50+k on 8/5
Laura: Since we had done a training run on the first 12- 14 miles of the course I felt pretty good getting
to the second aid station. I knew to expect boulder fields and ropes going in and out a couple of the
ravines. I was happy that I knew that because if I had come across the ropes without being prepared I
would have freaked out. My goal was to get to the fourth aid station prior to the cut off, just keep it
steady. Everything was feeling pretty good and I ran/walked through the wide open blast zone. I loved
this section, I was hot and moving slow but it felt like you could see forever. And then there was an
Oasis! I had been told this would be the best water that I have ever had, which it was, but I wasn’t told
that it would be served to me by Astronauts.

The last 8 miles of this race were the hardest 8 miles I have done. My knee started hurting. I decided I
could just finish walking, it would take forever but I could do it. I did it and then had a Cucumber Sour
Beer and it may have been the best beer I have ever had. I have no idea what I would think of it if I drank
one today.
Sticking with the plan turned out to be a highlight for me and I had a pretty good day on St Helens. It
was a tough course, it was hot and there was NO shade. I took the lessons learned from my Mt Hood
bonk and made sure I didn’t make the same mistakes with pacing and nutrition. The first 12 miles flew
by since I was familiar with the trail. Ropes course, boulder fields? No problem! Miles 12 – 20 were
tough due to epic climbs and no shade as I made it through the blast zone, but it was magical. I had no
idea there was a waterfall in the blast zone! The Spring Aid station at mile 20 is one I will dream of for
years. The water coming out of the mountain was the nectar of the Gods after the long, hot section.
Although hard, the Volcanic 50 was so well organized and supported. Seeing Mt St Helen’s as I traveled
around it on foot is the best way to really appreciate the splendor. When I crossed the finish line I was
tired, my blisters were bigger, my legs hurt and I was so happy!

The four days leading up to Rainer:
Laura: On Sunday I could barely walk. My knee hurt!! So I kept off it. The next day a little better, but
made an appointment to get a message to try to work it out. By Wednesday it felt pretty good, I bought
a compression wrap for it just in case but thought it would be fine.
Stephanie – Leading up to Rainier
I must have been slightly exhausted from St Helens because I don’t remember much from the days
leading up to Rainier. I know I went to work, because I sent a ton of emails. I do remember trying to
take my 4 page packing list and trying to condense it down to 1 page.

Laura: “Hope I remember everything I need and don’t pack to much extra”
Steph: “Oh yeah! My list is huge!”
Laura: “If I pack rain clothes, it won’t rain, right?
Steph: “If I pack a headlamp we won’t be out past dark”


Mt Rainer – 93 miles, 3 days, 8/10-8/12
We drove up to Rainer on Wednesday to meet the group we would be running with. There was a group
of 5 that would be running. We had a great salmon dinner and talked about what the next few days
would bring and specifically about the next days 34 mile run.

Day 1 – 34 Miles
Laura - Goal for day 1 finish in day light. From Longmire, the trail starts up hill. Right away the other
runners were out of site. We climbed for miles and came out into a meadow with Mt Rainer right on top
of us. One more climb, with the promise of an alpine lake. It was beautiful and the highlight of my first
day. I don’t usually stop for a swim but I jumped in. We ran on and got to another lake, took another dip
and then we had 10 miles to go! From there we cruised downhill for 6 or so miles. It would have been
great but we both ran out of water. We got to the final river crossing. It wasn’t very deep but it was
moving. Once we were safely across we had only 4, uphill, miles to go. The day went better than I

thought. We made it to camp with 20-30 minutes of day light left! We set up our tent, ate some food,
did not shower and went to bed.

Steph – When your guides start off by warning you about a river crossing with a washed out bridge
around mile 30, be nervous. Be very nervous (if you are a nervous nelly like me). That is how I started
my Wonderland adventure. My goal for day 1 was get to camp before dark. I had never ran the trails at
night, nature scared me a bit and I didn’t want to cross the river in the dark. The day was spent traveling
up and down out of valleys, crossing rivers and basking in the beauty of Rainer surrounded by Alpine
Meadows. The meadows and alpine lakes make the 3 miles climbs well worth the trip. The river was
super scary as it roared through rock fields, over boulders and down from the mountain. We did get to
the river in the light, got across and got into camp just before dusk.

Day 2 – 28 Miles
Laura – While the goal for was to finish in the day light, it should have been eat/drink and be merry.
From the beginning, my knee hurt. The day had some great scenery but I remember very little of it. I
was using my poles more than I ever had and realized that I don’t eat or drink enough when I using
them. Once we were up by Paradise I was hot and wanted no more food or water. Never a good sign. I
tried to keep drinking and Steph gave me some ginger (which I will now always associate to dry heaving).
One of our guides pointed out some mountain goats lounging in the shade. It was amazing and I wanted
to go join them. We got to the last few miles and it was all downhill, only that did not help me since my
knee hurt and when I tried to run I thought for sure I would throw up. It was a slow march. When I
finally got to camp, I iced my knee, snacked, had a beer and started feeling better almost immediately.
This time I opted to shower and it was wonderful! We had a great dinner everyone stayed up a little and
talked, there was even Dutch Oven Brownies!

Steph Day 2 was the shortest with only 7,000 feet of climbing. I started the day with a sense that we
needed to make it to camp before dark and we needed to get there fast. Years of training for races
engrained in me the urgency of getting to the finish line as fast as possible. Although day 2 was the
shortest, it was not very easy with some tough climbs. At some point, I think it was as I was slogging up
a tough climb, I felt myself relax. I started to look around and enjoy all that I was experiencing during
the day. We got so close to glaciers that I could hear them cracking, we saw mountain goats and
marmots, and rested by alpine lakes. All the while, we were given amazing views of Mt Rainier. When
Laura was going through her tough patch I felt no urgency to go ahead, it was still just nice to be out on
the mountain. The end of our challenge in site, and I was going to be missing being on remote trails
once I got back to work on Tuesday. I needed to take this all in and enjoy the journey.

Day 3 – 31 Miles
Laura - Goal for Day 3 finish before dark, better nutrition. The day started a little later which was
probably good since right before left it started to storm. We packed extra gear in our packs and talked a
about what to do if the storm kept up. I thought I might lose Steph, I reminded her the she was my
buddy for the day and that we would get through it. After the prior day I wasn’t sure what to expect, but
this turned out to be my favorite day of the whole Triple Crown. Getting to Pan Handle was amazing. It
went by quickly on some great runnable trails. As we crossed snow fields I really felt like we were on top
of the mountain. There were marmots running around and waterfalls in every direction you looked. This
day we had two aid stations so my goal at this point of climbing was to get to the aid station and drop all
the extra layers I had packed for the storm that didn’t stick around. I had a ginger ale and some chips

and watermelon and we were off. I think there was only 4-6 miles until the next aid station. But it was all
climbing. I think we were all very quiet and just trudged on up. We were told it was all downhill from
there, 5 or so miles. This section was hard. I knew I was close to being done, I knew that I was on
runnable trail, but I had no energy left. We finished to cheers and high fives.

Day 3 Yep, Laura almost lost me on day 3. I started the day as I sat in the bathroom, crying, scared for
the day ahead and the storm that was thundering overhead. How was I going to make it Panhandle gap
in a raging storm? In truth, the storm was not raging. Feeding off of Laura’s determined strength, I put
on my big girl running shorts and got out on the trails. The sights, sounds and feeling that I experienced
on Day 3 is what I still carry with me a month later. Panhandle Gap is something that needs to be
experienced by everyone because you feel so connected to the mountain. The aid stations were a great
way to break up the last climbs on my tired legs. I don’t remember much of the rest of the day, except a
glorious downhill run from Panhandle followed by some long climbing. I spent a lot of time reflecting on
the amazing spring and summer as I trained with Laura. Thanks to the Triple Crown challenge, I got to
see parts of the Cascade Mountain range that I didn’t know existed. This goal finally slowed me down as
I enjoyed the moment, instead of just trying to get to the damn finish line.

What did we learn along the way
 There are amazing people in this world and we got to meet and run with many. When you
worry about being the slowest, this might keep you for joining group adventures. Don’t let
that stop you. At both camps all the runners and the guides were encouraging. Everyone was
so positive and it rubs off on the entire group.
 We are physically and mentally stronger than we think. We all are. We had confidence in
completing the challenge, but we anticipated longer days and harder efforts. If you train right
you can do anything.
 Nature is calling, and it is all around us in the PNW. The sites we experienced were enough to
get us through some very low points. Nature is powerful that way. You can be feeling really
tired, sore or low but a glimpse of a mountain or an alpine lake can change how you feel in an
 Appreciate – everyone and thing around you. We have each other to train with, which means
running every weekend despite the snow, rain and heat. With a coach like Yassine cheering us
on and understanding husbands, we have so many people to thank. It can feel selfish to
disappear for hours on a weekend, but our support crew kept us motivated.



UTMB week is here!

It's that time of the year again when mountain athletes and trail running enthusiasts from the world over gather in the snowcapped mountains of the Alps to tackle the some of the hardest and most scenic races of all--the TDS, PTL, OCC, CCC, and UTMB--part of the renowned Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc week!

These events are considered some of the most difficult foot races in the world.  Many ultra runners aspire to the 100+ mile distance of the UTMB, which traverses through France, Italy and Switzerland, coming full circle to end back in Chamonix.  It takes a seriously dedicated runner to qualify and train for any of these arduous mountain events, so we want to congratulate three of our team who have put in the work and made it there this year!

Good luck runners!


Yassine Diboun

Wy’east Wolfpack co-founder, beloved coach, birthday boy of the week and renowned ultra runner, Yassine is heading off to take part in his first UTMB.  He's put in the work to prepare, training up and down the Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood the whole season through. Yassine said, “One of the things I’ve learned about 100-milers is that the only thing you can expect is… the unexpected! So, training for this requires you to run all types of terrain and being comfortable--and ready--dealing with all sorts of variables, some you can control, some you can't.”

The full UTMB 100+ mile race begins at 6 pm, Friday Sept. 1st!  Follow along and watch Yassine's progress here!

Also, check out "What It Feels Like to Be a UTMB First-Timer" by Yassine on the Inov-8 blog!

Screenshot 2017-08-29 15.06.12.png

Erik Weeman –

Wy’east Wolfpack since 2014, Erik is taking part in his first UTMB event, the 119k TDS. “The time has come once again to challenge myself like never before. On August 30th, I will run the TDS race (Sur le Trace de Ducs des Savoie).  Thousands of runners from all over the world have trained, qualified and THEN won the lottery to take part, and I just happen to be one of them. It's been three years in the making. Crazy.”  

As the first event in the week of UTMB races, the TDS is already wrapped up!  Erik had an epic experience ("crazy hard and more beautiful" to use his words), crossing the finish line in a very respectable 27:30.  Near perfect weather during the day and a cool night gave Erik the energy reserves he needed to run the final five miles hard and finish super strong, passing dozens of runners in the process.  

Way to go Erik, we can't wait to hear more of the gory details when you get home!


Addie Thompson –

Wy’east Wolfpack since 2014, Addie is taking part in her first CCC, a 100k distance race of the UTMB event series. “Words really can't describe how it feels to be living out a dream I've had for years. I am indebted to each one of my training partners for a summer of laughs and exhaustion, and to many more of you who didn't look at me like I was insane when I said I was going to Europe in September to run a 60 mile race in the Alps. That unquestioning support means more than you know. Three countries. 100 kilometers. One day. Here we go.”

CCC starts at 9 am Friday, Sept. 1st...  Go Addie, Go!  Watch the race unfold here!




Unforeseen Challenges

by Emily Estrada

I recently got laid off.

While only somewhat unexpected, my relatively ordered life was thrown into immediate disarray. Unsure of what to do with my newfound time and ready for adventure, I decided to drive down to California for a two-week road trip. Due to the time constraints of my many hosts, my plan was to hustle down to San Diego and then meander north. In hindsight, driving 16 hours in one day wasn’t the best idea. Moreover, it was tortuous to pass so many renowned national parks and forests without stopping to explore. The competitive, adventurous side of me longed to stop and try my hand at running up and down one of California’s famous fourteeners. On the other hand, my friends and their new baby awaited in San Diego. Any time spent in the mountains detracted from time with them. Little did I know that an opportunity for adventure would present itself the very next day.

When my friend went to a doctor’s appointment the following afternoon, I decided to explore a nearby park. The website had drawn me in with its description of over sixty miles of California-style trails, with plenty of views of the surrounding area. I walked into the visitor center and my eyes lit up at a sign exclaiming “Take on the 5-Peak Challenge!” As I looked more closely at the map, my head filled with possibilities.

I approached the ranger behind the front desk with trepidatious excitement.

“Can you tell me a little more about the 5-Peak Challenge?” I asked.

“Oh sure,” he replied, handing me a map.

“Is there a way to do them all in one day? Do you have to drive to each trailhead?” I pressed.

“Well, you COULD do it all in one day, and you COULD drive to each trailhead” - and here he lowered his voice confidentially - “but some people complete it as one loop.” 

“And SOME crazy people even run it.”

That settled it. I could be one of those crazy people. I could run the loop.

At that moment, I was ready to grab the map out of his hand, hurry to the nearest trailhead and start running. However, I did a quick mental check. I didn’t have enough water or food and my friends were expecting me for dinner. And, it wouldn’t be wise to start running at 2:30pm in a desert environment; the next morning would be better, I would do it then I declared.

As I walked back to the car, further doubts starting surfacing. I didn’t know how long the loop was. I was unfamiliar with the terrain. My pack couldn’t fit more than a couple liters of water. I didn’t have much food. I was already sunburnt and didn’t know if my skin could take additional prolonged exposure. My body was still recovering from a 30 mile run two days prior. There was no place to bail if I got tired or injured. Most importantly, I was alone.

I sat calmly in the front seat of my car, turning over the pros and cons in my mind. After a few minutes of quiet reflection, I came to a realization. All of my doubts boiled to one thing: fear. Specifically, the fear that I would fail. I thought, “You were looking for an adventure, Emily. Now you’ve found one.” I told myself it was okay to be afraid, so long as I didn’t let fear run my life. I didn’t have to run fast, I just had to try.

After deciding to go through with it, I felt like a weight had been lifted. Though the hardest part was still to come - i.e. the run itself - part of the mental battle had already been won. That evening, I perused route beta, located water stops, prepped food, and told my friends where I’d be in case something went wrong. I slept soundly, dreaming of my footsteps on the rocky ground.

The next morning, I drove to the trailhead, shouldered my pack, and laced up my shoes. Alright,” I whispered. “Here goes.”



My Daughter Is A Badass

By Sarah Foote

“I’m proud of my body,” I told her, “I grew two humans, that’s pretty remarkable.”

My daughter Nora is four years old and she loves to ask questions. It’s my job to give all the honest answers, in an age appropriate fashion. Last week, when Nora asked me why I grew babies in my belly and daddy didn’t, I gave a short anatomy lesson. One question led to another and I soon found myself looking my daughter in the eye and telling her that I'm proud of my body.

I’m proud of my body; I was shocked to hear myself say it.  At 34 years old, I believe that’s the first time I’ve said those words aloud. I’ve always struggled with my body image -- no matter what condition I’m in, I seem to find a way to feel bad about it. I don't like feeling this way about my body and it’s not how I want Nora to feel about hers.

Telling Nora I’m proud of my body felt empowering and honest. When I think logically about it, I’m blown away by what my body has allowed me to do during my life. I’ve run thousands of miles, climbed mountains, swam in oceans, chased snakes, and thrown snowballs. I’ve rafted rivers, jumped off boulders, given piggyback rides, and cartwheeled at countless parks. And I’ve grown two humans -- my kids. Hell yes I'm proud.

 Lewis, age 6 - Sarah, age 33 - Nora, age 4; Capture: Justin/Husband/Dad

Right now, Nora is young enough to simply want to physically be able to keep up with her brother and do things independently -- climb trees, balance on rocks to cross a creek, pull herself onto a rope swing. She doesn’t seem concerned with how her body looks yet, but I fear that will change.

It’s no secret, young girls are inundated with messages from a body-image obsessed culture; unreasonable demands come from all angles. Unfortunately, no matter how careful we are as parents, we can’t shelter our kids from the existence of these societal expectations. Movies emphasize female subordinate roles, dolls are made with impossible measurements, relatives make offhand comments about dieting or trying to lose weight, and strangers at the grocery store never miss an opportunity to tell a little girl she’s “so cute.” The message is clear: you are supposed to look and act a certain way.

It’s too much. Of course, the messages sent to my daughter are different from those sent to my son. There is an expectation that Nora is sweet and quiet.  People don’t often offer her high fives or fist bumps and no one dares her to jump from high places or challenges her to complete an obstacle course. Those interactions are saved for Lewis, my son.

Both of my kids have noticed. Nora, at the age of four, has confronted a dad at the park: “I can balance on that log, too.” And Lewis, age six, has sadly turned to me at the grocery store and asked, “Do I look cute in my clothes, mama?”

I run five or six days a week and to my kids that’s a normal routine. At home, we talk a lot about food and fueling our bodies. Nora asks what foods will make her muscles stronger, what will make her taller. Three days before her fourth birthday, I beamed when Nora said to me, “When I’m four I will probably be big enough to run a marathon with you, Mama.” My goal is to show both my kids that I can do hard things and they can do hard things too.

I want to say this to all young girls: you have permission to be unabashedly proud of your body. Don’t worry about what you should look like, instead focus on what you want to do and who you wish to be.

Nora, you are a badass.

Love, Mom



Angel's To Alpine

Angels to Alpine is Oregon's new, and premier, long distance hiking and running route from Angel's Rest in the Columbia Gorge to the Timberline Lodge on the slopes of the great Wy'east, Mt. Hood.



Epic Fail

By Sarah Foote

Last Saturday I set off for 25 miles, my final long run two weeks out from my first race of the season. The plan was to start easy and finish hard, putting the finishing touches on four months of well-rounded training for the Tillamook Burn 50k.

But, of course, nothing goes according to plan. I do not crush this last long run; rather, it crushes me. My feet weigh a ton and my quads scream. My heart aches and I want to be at home with my kids. Tears slide down my face and are lapped up by the mud. And then… I quit.

I have a son in kindergarten and a daughter in preschool. No matter where I am or what I am doing, I am a mom.

Parenting doesn’t come with a how-to guide. No one provides a semi-annual review and there’s no coaches telling you what to do. Kids are ever-changing, and so parenting has to evolve constantly in an effort to keep up. There’s no master checklist to work through and no task ever seems complete. Parenting is the hardest, yet most rewarding work I’ve ever done.

One of the things I like most about running is that it fulfills my need to accomplish something finite. I love ticking off my runs on the training plan: 25 mile adventure, check! 5 miles fast, check! 45 minutes of stairs, check! When life happens I adjust my plan accordingly; missing a run to take care of a sick kid or breaking up a workout in two segments to go on a field trip with my son.

Fifteen days before my race, I quit halfway through my run. What should have been 25 miles of glory ends as 14 miles of self-doubt and pity. I walk away from the trail defeated. I wonder if I am ready for the upcoming race: will the course get the best of me? Will I be able to go the distance? Can I handle the vertical gain? I question my perception of myself as a trail runner and judge my ability to balance my life’s priorities: “you’re a bad mom,” I think, “what are you doing out here running for hours, leaving your family behind? You can’t even finish your run.”

My head hangs. More tears.

I decide to drive home to be with my kids. I tell myself that I should be at home with them and that they need me. As I drive I imagine them running to greet me at the door, devastated that I was gone, desperate to melt into my arms.

I see them waiting on the porch as I arrive and I brace myself for an emotional explosion.  As I approach though, reality sets in: my kids are just fine, happy and having fun. Everything is under control.  They certainly are thrilled to have me home and missed me while I was gone, but not in the desperate way I imagined on the trail. Today is just another Saturday, it’s sunny, and life is good.

Now the failed run is especially real. No one needed rescuing back home.  The simple story was I set out to run 25 miles and didn’t get it done. I decided to quit and have to own that decision. Luckily though, this is just one moment and the truth of the matter is, nothing is lost. Each failure I experience presents a lesson and an opportunity for growth. Failing teaches me how to stay humble and adjust and align myself for future success. Without failure, I wouldn’t recognize or appreciate the victories along the way.

After time to reflect, I know three things for sure:

First, I am capable runner and I AM ready for my upcoming 50k. I have worked hard these past four months and one terrible run can’t undo all of the great ones.

Second, I love my kids more than anything and want to be the best, most loving and supportive mom I can be.  Trail running and training makes me happy and allows me to rise to the challenges of motherhood.

Third, I am a work in progress. As I strive for success I also acknowledge the possibility of failure along the way. I expect myself to be strong, smart, and reasonable but when the wheels fall off, I will use the opportunity to grow.